As I told you in my chocolate cupcakes recipe, I simply love cupcakes! These gluten free lemon cupcakes are just wonderful: they can be made ahead and frozen (without the icing); they are fast and easy to make; the children love them; they taste delicious… In a nutshell, they tick all the boxes 🙂
These can be offered to guests with a cup of tea, eaten by the children (and mum 😉 ) as a snack, taken on days out, brought to pot luck invitations, packed in lunchboxes… the possibilities are endless!
Try them – I am SURE you won’t be disappointed.
For 12 cupcakes:
- 130 g butter
- 130 g brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100 g rice flour
- 40 g cornmeal (see products used)
- 20 g buckwheat flour
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
(Note about the flours: these cupcakes also work fine with 160 g of a gluten free flour mix, such as Schaer Mix C or Dove Farm self-raising flour)
For the icing:
- juice of 1 small lemon
- 150 g icing sugar
- Place the butter in a bowl and melt (in the microwave for one minute, or over a pan of boiling water).
- Add the sugar and eggs and mix well.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, the flours, baking powder and salt and mix well again.
- For baking, I use a cupcake/muffin tray, with cupcake cases. Place a large spoonful of the mixture into each cupcake case and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, at 200°C. Don’t overcook the cupcakes, or they’ll be too dry.
- Let the cupcakes cool down.
- Mix the icing sugar and lemon juice and put a spoonful of icing onto each cupcake.
Hope you like them 🙂