I love savoury cakes! They’re great for pic nics, healthy snacks or to bring for summer pot luck meals.
This olive and ham cake has been in my recipe book for nearly 30 years. My stepmother used to make it regularly and I developed my own gluten free version of it. You can use your imagination and create variations of it – it works very well with sun-dried tomatoes and olives for example! The only thing in this recipe that is non-negotiable is the use of olive oil – it’s really not as nice if you use another kind of oil.
My stepmother used to add grated cheese to it but I find it lighter without. Try both versions and see which one you prefer!
This cake is super easy and fast to make, and all my children love it, so it ticks all the boxes 🙂
So, here it is…
- 150 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 100 ml olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 200 g ham
- 100 g green or black pitted olives
- 150 g gluten free flour (I use Schaer mix B or Dove’s farm bread flour – see products used)
- 100 g buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- optional: 100 g grated cheese (such as gruyère or cheddar)
- Mix the stock, olive oil and eggs in a bowl
- Cut the olives in half and the ham in little squares and add to the mix
- Add the flours and baking powder and mix well
- If you’re using cheese, add it and mix well again
- Line a rectangular cake tin with non-stick baking paper and pour the mixture into it
- Bake in the oven at 200°C for 40 minutes
- Let the cake cool down completely before cutting into slices
Note: you can also make small savoury muffins with this mix. Simply put a big spoonful of mixture into muffin cases and bake for about 20 minutes. You should get about 12 muffins. They’re great to take on pic nics 🙂