I experimented one day with various ingredients and the result was this cake: a basic plain chocolate cake, that takes 5 minutes to prepare and 40 minutes to bake. I will be honest and tell you outright this is not my favourite recipe – and I definitely don’t think it’s my best invention! But, for some reason, it’s a huge success with my children and with all their neighborhood friends! This means I make it regularly for them when I want them to have something special; they distribute slices to their friends and it’s extremely satisfying for me to see them all enjoying this cake so much!
The advantages of this cake are that it’s extremely fast to make, it is not too crumbly and you can eat it straight away (unlike other gluten free cakes that are best prepared a day ahead) and it keeps very well if you wrap it in foil, making it an ideal choice to take on a pic nic or a day out. Also… the fact that the children love it so much and that I am not that enthusiastic about it makes it good for my waistline and my blood sugar levels 🙂 !
So, here is the recipe:
- 125 g butter
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 100 g sugar
- 70 g rice flour
- 55 g cornflour
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- Place the butter and chocolate in a bowl and melt (either in the microwave for 1 minute or over a pan of boiling water).
- Add the sugar, vanilla sugar, baking powder, salt and eggs and mix well.
- Add the flours and mix well again.
- Line a rectangular cake tin with non-stick baking paper and pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake in the oven at 200°C for 35 minutes.
- Let the cake cool down and enjoy!