If you have children, they might be like mine and only like plain bread… I LOVE bread that has various seeds and grains and a nice, dark, healthy colour… but my children have a total preference for plain, white bread – lol! So, with two daughters eating gluten free, I’m always trying to come up with easy gluten free recipes for good plain bread.
As I mentioned in some other bread recipes, I was given this book by a friend recently, and it’s filled with nice gluten free bread ideas which I’ve been trying out. None of the recipes use flour mixes, and yet all of them have turned out really well so far… so… the other day, inspired by this, I thought I would just be brave and try and experiment with various flours to make a good loaf of plain gluten free bread my children would love❤️.
The result of my experimenting is the recipe below: a good loaf of white gluten free bread, which we used to make sandwiches for our picnic. We all loved it and it was fast and easy to make – so it’s going to be on my regular list of breads to make!
Just like with all my other gluten free bread recipes, I follow a few steps to ensure success. You can check them out here: my bread making tips page.
So… here is the recipe:
For one loaf, baked in a 18 x 8 cm cake tin
- 280 ml water (not too cold)
- 5 g dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 g sunflower oil
- 80 g rice flour
- 45 g buckwheat flour
- 80 g potato starch
- 25 g cornflour
- 25 g ground almonds
- 7 g psyllium husk powder
- 5 g salt
- Place the water and dried yeast in a bowl.
- Sprinkle the sugar on the mix and let it rest for ten minutes to activate the yeast (see baking bread) .
- Add the sunflower oil, rice, and buckwheat flours, followed by the potato starch, cornflour, ground almonds, psyllium husk powder and salt. Mix thoroughly – the dough will be easy to mix and fairly liquid.
- Line the cake tin with some non-stick baking paper and pour the bread dough into it. Let the dough rise – if possible in a warm and humid place. It should take between 30 minutes and an hour to rise.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 210°C if you have a fan oven – 230°C if you use conventional heat. I take the loaf out of the tin after 30 minutes and bake it for the last 10 minutes in the oven but out of the cake tin (that way it is nice and crusty all over!).
Let the loaf cool down completely before slicing your bread.
Hope you love it 🙂